Tuesday, March 24, 2020

The Cartoon History of the Modern World Part 1: From Columbus to the U.S. Constitution

The Cartoon History of the Modern World Part 1: From Columbus to the U.S. Constitution by Larry Gonick
For many years I have been a big fan of Larry Gonick's cartoon nonfiction history books and guides to scientific subjects, so it is with great pleasure that I read (re-read?) his Cartoon History of the Modern World Part 1. He has a great way of simplifying and finding humor in historic topics. While this book does suffer from being male-centric, it is a problem shared by many survey histories of this period. I did find his description of the European wars with all the changing leaders of states and shifting alliances somewhat confusing, but I think that is the nature of things rather than his fault. Not being a historian, I cannot verify the accuracy of his treatment, but it is good for quite a few laughs.

No comments: